Have you fallen victim to buying a new hair product only to try it once or twice and find that it is not for you? Too heavy or has no effect perhaps? Fear not, for we at Davissa understand your pain and have a made a list of tips and tricks to help find your happy hair product medium.
Do you only wash your hair once and condition it roots and ends? Well if you answered yes I’m sorry but you are doing it all wrong, especially if you go a few days without washing. The trick to getting the most out of your shampoo is to wash twice, working small amount into very wet hair. The first wash may not lather up and you may want to reach for the bottle and soak all that cleanliness in. But, like most things in life less is more my friends. The second wash is when you will get that squeaky, foamy feeling as the first wash only loosens the dirt whilst the second really cleanses the grime. Which brings us to the next point- you wouldn’t want to ruin all that hard work you just put into your locks would you? Hence the idea that conditioning from the roots will only make your hair feel oily again. The trick here is to only apply conditioner from mid lengths to ends. Another tip, squeeze excess moisture out before you apply conditioner which will in turn save your precious product from escaping down the drain.
Bringing back the idea that less is more, there is nothing worse then washing your hair and going to the effort of styling only to realise “whoops maybe that was to much product”. Our top tip here, use less product first then add more if you feel the need. Most of the time we are a little heavy handed and use much more then then we actually need. The idea of product is to enhance what we already have and as an added benefit you will get longer out of the product the less you use it. On another note, the directions on the back are only a guide as everyones hair is different. Someone with finer hair would use a different amount to someone with thicker hair. It’s all about trial and error. Don’t give up and push it to the back of the shelf on the first go!
Know your hair type & do your research
Certain products work better for certain hair types. The tip here is to make sure you know your hair type and what a product can do for you. By the term hair type we mean if you hair is fine or thick or somewhere in between. Is it oily, is it dry or is it just lacklustre? You need to know what you want from your hair like in any healthy relationship and not go into it blind sided and unsure. You must also know what you want from the product too, no point in spending your coin on a volumiser if volume is not really what you are looking for. Unsure of how to categorise your hair or products? Use the worldwide web to you advantage! There is so much information out there and your trusty friends Google and YouTube can lead you in the right direction. Try searching the terms “how to know your hair type” and “what products work for me” and you are well on you way to expanding you hair care knowledge and like they say…knowledge is power.
Use us to your advantage
Didn’t find what you were looking for on the Internet or are not technologically savvy? Don’t forget us girls at Davissa are always here to answer any of your questions. Next time you are in the salon don’t be afraid to ask us your hair care questions, no question is to big or too silly. We are always more then happy to help 🙂
We all want amazing luxurious, glamorous hair in the colour of our choice without the added bonus of damage and breakage! But the truth is- colouring, blow-drying and straightening- it all has the possibility of causing damage! As hairdressers, we are often very sceptical of products that claim to repair hair and perform magic that should not be possible! Enter Olaplex! This product is being raved about all over the world so we thought we should give it a go- and the results seriously speak for themselves! This product is amazing!
Olaplex is all about the science! Hair is comprised of disulphide bonds. It is these bonds that give hair its strength and structure and are prone to break when exposed to chemical, thermal and mechanical processes. Olaplex works from the inside out by literally re-linking the bonds of damaged hair back together again.
The creators of Olaplex have conducted extensive testing on the product putting samples of hair through extreme processes that would never normally be attempted in real life situations. The results found that hair that was untreated with Olaplex melted away to nothing! Where as hair that was treated with Olaplex not only survived the treatment- but got stronger!
What does this mean for salon services? It means that colours that would once have not been possible can now be created. Olaplex treatments result in hair that is softer, shinier and much easier to manage!
Olaplex is a three part process starting with a bond multiplier added to lightener or other hair colours. A bond perfector treatment is then completed at the basin and finally a take home treatment is used to continue the strengthening of the bonds. Olaplex can also be used as a stand alone intensive treatment for damaged hair.
We are all in love with Olaplex! Find out more about it in the salon at your next appointment or give the Davissa crew a call and we will be happy to answer any of the questions you may have.
“Life doesn’t come with an instruction manual- it comes with a Mother!”
We love our Mums and everything they have done for us!
Wishing all the Mums out there a very Happy Mothers Day!!!
Stress can be a big factor in everyone’s lives! Whether it is work or family or something completely unrelated! Not only can stress can take a big toll on our bodies- but also our hair!
Did you know that stress can actually accelerate greying? When our bodies are under a lot of stress, the hormones released can damage the melanin which is what gives our hair its colour!
But rather than stressing about being stressed, we have some easy changes you can make to help make it easier to relax!
- Have you considered meditation? Not only just for yogis’, meditating for a little as 10 minutes a day can help you to unwind and give a better perspective on problems that need to be solved. Taking a short break to calm the mind can have a massive positive impact on health and wellbeing. If you search on youtube for guided meditations, there are so many quick little meditation videos that can help you reach that zen!
- Soak in a steamy hot bath with a couple of drops of lavender or chamomile- both oils that release calming properties. Perfect way to unwind at the end of the day.
- Taking time out is often just what the Dr ordered! Whether it’s a quick weekend trip or a relaxing weekend in the comfort of your own home, having time to yourself helps to give a better outlook on things and lets the body relax and recuperate
- As much as alcohol and caffeine can seem to help you in stressful situations- did you know that they may actually be doing the opposite! Try cutting back on your coffee or glass of wine and see if it can help you to relax a little more. Try switching to sparkly water with citrus fruit or herbal teas.
Want to stay away from the major shopping centres and still pick up some great last minute gifts? We have you covered!
The hard to buy for
Our Davissa gift vouchers are the perfect gift for the hard to buy for! Available in any denomination of your choice they are nicely gift packaged and ready to place straight under the tree or into a Santa stocking! Perfect for secret Santa gifts!
The health conscious
Sharon at Davissa Skin Clinic has a new range of products from ‘The Beauty Chef’ sure to impress those who are conscious of their health and skincare. These powders and elixirs harness the power of organic whole foods to rejuvenate the skin from the inside out. The range features ‘Glow Inner Beauty Powder’ which contains 23 skin loving superfoods in one delicious berry powder as well as Cleanse, Hydration and Collagen inner beauty boosts. These bio-fermented probiotic elixirs are taken as a daily shot to enhance gut health and skin radiance. Starting from $39.95 and beautifully packaged, the ‘Beauty Chef Products’ are the perfect gift sure to be a winner this Christmas!
Stocking stuffers for the men in your life can be a hard task! A gift voucher for a style cut including a wash and relaxing head massage is the perfect gift! Just $25!
The one that needs to take a break and recharge
There is nothing better than offering the gift of relaxation and rejuvenation to those that need to take some time for themselves this holiday season! A Davissa pamper package is the perfect choice! They will receive
- A wash with our luxury products
- A hot towel treatment including a relaxing head massage
- Style Cut
Super special offer of Just $55
Available to purchase until December 24 2015
The lover of amazing skin care products
Davissa Skin Clinic exclusively uses the beautiful Synergie skin products which combine cutting edge scientific breakthroughs with naturally derived ingredients to protect, change and nurture all skin. This Christmas, Sharon is offering Synergie skin gifts packs at 10% off the RRP. The beautiful Synergie Home Essentials gift pack featured below is just $59 and is sure to impress.
The holiday lover
Got someone that loves the tan that comes along with a summer holiday? A spray tan voucher is the perfect gift. Just $20 for a beautiful black magic spray tan!
Whoever you need to buy for this year, we are sure to have a solution for you at Davissa. Happy shopping!
You just walked out of the salon- your hair is vibrant, its shiny, it looks amazing and you feel a million dollars! We all love that salon fresh feeling and wanting to keep hair looking just as good as it did when you walked out of the salon right up until your next hair appointment is on top of the wish list for many of our clients! So how do you achieve it? Below are our top tips for keeping your new hair in premium just left the salon condition!
- Avoid washing hair after your colour for as long as possible. This helps the colour molecules settle into the hair shaft. The more you wash your hair the more colour molecules that wash away. The less you wash your hair, the longer it will last.
2. Although blonde hair does not fade like darker colours sometimes do, it is not without its maintenance issues. The most common complaint we get from our Blondes is the appearance of brassy, yellow or golden tones. Blonde hair easily picks up unwanted tones generally due to environmental factors and lifestyle. The best way to eliminate them between colours is to invest in a good quality purple shampoo. Because yellow sits directly opposite purple on the colour wheel, it effectively and easily removes unwanted tones. Using it no more than twice a week is optimal so as to not overtone the hair.
3. Banish bed hair by finding yourself a silk pillowcase and see how much longer your blowdrys can last! Cotton fabric has the potential to grab your hair and twist it from the root during the night often resulting in bed hair! Silk is much gentler on the hair, reduces the likelihood of static and allows for styles to last much longer.
4. Did you know that wrapping your hair in a towel after showering and leaving it there while you are doing your make-up can often be a cause of frizz! The rough material often used to make towels forces the hair cuticle to open and makes them more prone to go every which way. Instead, squeeze all the excess moisture from your hair when you get out of the shower and allow to air dry while you do your make-up etc.
5. Dry shampoo can be a lifesaver for those busy mornings, rushing to work after a morning gym session or if your hair is prone to being oily. But did you know that it can actually be used as a styling product as well? Applied lightly to the roots and worked in small circles with the fingers it can provide volume to fine hair. Regrowth due and you just don’t have time to get to the salon- Dry shampoo can minimise the appearance! There are various colours of dry shampoo available- just make sure to match it up to your hair colour.
So there you have it- our top tips for keeping your hair in just left the salon condition for as long as possible! Be sure to quiz your stylist on your next trip to Davissa for more quick and easy ways to keep your hair looking great!
It’s the weekend!!! We can’t think of a more weekend appropriate topic to discuss than this simple yet drastic way to change your look and surprise your friends. Better yet, it can be done in less than 30 seconds and doesn’t cost a thing!
You are probably thinking what can possibly take that little time? Its something so simple yet so overlooked in the process of getting ready that for some people it is unheard of- the subtle part change! It is without a doubt one of the most dramatic yet not permanent ways to switch up your whole look!
People often fall into the routine of the same part everyday. However, switching a part up can really compliment not only your face shape and features but many hairstyles as well. To show you just what we mean, below we have listed our top picks of parts! Try them out this weekend and experience the power of the part for yourself!
SIDE PART- Left or Right
Nothing says sultry like a deep side part! This gives the illusion of a swept over and effortless do. The best bit? The deeper the part, the better the effect! Love the side part but your hair wont stay to the side?
When styling your hair, after washing use a blow dryer and your fingers to sweep hair to the side and into the intended part, blast drying the roots for staying power and eliminating cow licks. Don’t try and be too perfect, the messier the parting the better the effortless effect. Wanting more volume? Once hair is completely dry, add dry shampoo or a texturizing spray to the roots and distribute with fingers for that extra oomph.
Wanting something more dramatic? Why not try a center part! Use a comb or tail-comb and part your hair down the center when wet and blast dry with the hair dryer. Can’t get it perfect? That’s okay! A just off centered part works too. Team it with straight locks for a super sleek look.
Want no part? Add a different look altogether by brushing your hair all back and having no part at all! This works particularly well for curly hair! Want a dramatic look? Try spraying with hairspray or applying a gel and going for a sleek straight back look!
Simple ways to change your look with one simple step that allows you to mix it up every day of the week!!!
Share your photos with us! We would love to see your different looks!