You just walked out of the salon- your hair is vibrant, its shiny, it looks amazing and you feel a million dollars! We all love that salon fresh feeling and wanting to keep hair looking just as good as it did when you walked out of the salon right up until your next hair appointment is on top of the wish list for many of our clients! So how do you achieve it? Below are our top tips for keeping your new hair in premium just left the salon condition!
- Avoid washing hair after your colour for as long as possible. This helps the colour molecules settle into the hair shaft. The more you wash your hair the more colour molecules that wash away. The less you wash your hair, the longer it will last.
2. Although blonde hair does not fade like darker colours sometimes do, it is not without its maintenance issues. The most common complaint we get from our Blondes is the appearance of brassy, yellow or golden tones. Blonde hair easily picks up unwanted tones generally due to environmental factors and lifestyle. The best way to eliminate them between colours is to invest in a good quality purple shampoo. Because yellow sits directly opposite purple on the colour wheel, it effectively and easily removes unwanted tones. Using it no more than twice a week is optimal so as to not overtone the hair.
3. Banish bed hair by finding yourself a silk pillowcase and see how much longer your blowdrys can last! Cotton fabric has the potential to grab your hair and twist it from the root during the night often resulting in bed hair! Silk is much gentler on the hair, reduces the likelihood of static and allows for styles to last much longer.
4. Did you know that wrapping your hair in a towel after showering and leaving it there while you are doing your make-up can often be a cause of frizz! The rough material often used to make towels forces the hair cuticle to open and makes them more prone to go every which way. Instead, squeeze all the excess moisture from your hair when you get out of the shower and allow to air dry while you do your make-up etc.
5. Dry shampoo can be a lifesaver for those busy mornings, rushing to work after a morning gym session or if your hair is prone to being oily. But did you know that it can actually be used as a styling product as well? Applied lightly to the roots and worked in small circles with the fingers it can provide volume to fine hair. Regrowth due and you just don’t have time to get to the salon- Dry shampoo can minimise the appearance! There are various colours of dry shampoo available- just make sure to match it up to your hair colour.
So there you have it- our top tips for keeping your hair in just left the salon condition for as long as possible! Be sure to quiz your stylist on your next trip to Davissa for more quick and easy ways to keep your hair looking great!
Blackheads and other annoyances…..
Let’s start at the beginning. What is the best approach to breakouts?
Understand the triggers and you are on the way to better looking skin.
Hormones have a lot to answer for! Testosterone (in men and women) increases sebum production to excess amounts. This in turn, with slow skin shedding, causes congestion which in turn can cause bacterial proliferation.
So, what is the best way to keep blackheads at bay?
Choose cosmeceutical skin care ingredients that deal with:
- Reducing inflammation
- Regulating oil production
- Removing dead skin and debris from deep within the pore (Salicylic acid)
- Removing dead skin from the skin surface
- Reducing the diameter of the pore
- Control bacteria in the pores
Many oils can actually help treat low grade acne and will not block pores. These include –
- Castor bean oil
- Sea buckthorn oil
- Shea butter
- Sunflower oil
- Safflower oil
- Jojoba oil
- Argan oil
- Rose hip oil
- Avoid ingredients that are classified as comedogenic.
These ingredients can actually clog pores and give rise to blackheads.
- Cacao butter
- Peach kernel oil
- Coconut oil ( it’s fine to eat though!)
- Soybean oil
- Wheat germ oil
- Sodium Lauryl sulphate /SLS (present in most cleansers)
- Cotton seed oil
- D&C red 40 (more common artificial red colourant in cosmetics)
- Algae extract and algin
- Avoid dimethicone and other ‘silicones’
This synthetic silicone oil adds to the emollience and ‘feel’ of a product and is common in pressed cosmetics, moisturisers and hair products. Whilst dimethicone is not technically comedogenic, it can trap pollutants, sebum and debris under the skin. This prevents the skin from removing toxins and can make blackheads and acne worse. It can also prevent the penetration of beneficial water soluble ingredients to the skin. In my opinion, it is best to avoid dimethicone in makeup and skincare.
Sharon Gould, Registered Nurse, Davissa Skin Clinic
It’s the weekend!!! We can’t think of a more weekend appropriate topic to discuss than this simple yet drastic way to change your look and surprise your friends. Better yet, it can be done in less than 30 seconds and doesn’t cost a thing!
You are probably thinking what can possibly take that little time? Its something so simple yet so overlooked in the process of getting ready that for some people it is unheard of- the subtle part change! It is without a doubt one of the most dramatic yet not permanent ways to switch up your whole look!
People often fall into the routine of the same part everyday. However, switching a part up can really compliment not only your face shape and features but many hairstyles as well. To show you just what we mean, below we have listed our top picks of parts! Try them out this weekend and experience the power of the part for yourself!
SIDE PART- Left or Right
Nothing says sultry like a deep side part! This gives the illusion of a swept over and effortless do. The best bit? The deeper the part, the better the effect! Love the side part but your hair wont stay to the side?
When styling your hair, after washing use a blow dryer and your fingers to sweep hair to the side and into the intended part, blast drying the roots for staying power and eliminating cow licks. Don’t try and be too perfect, the messier the parting the better the effortless effect. Wanting more volume? Once hair is completely dry, add dry shampoo or a texturizing spray to the roots and distribute with fingers for that extra oomph.
Wanting something more dramatic? Why not try a center part! Use a comb or tail-comb and part your hair down the center when wet and blast dry with the hair dryer. Can’t get it perfect? That’s okay! A just off centered part works too. Team it with straight locks for a super sleek look.
Want no part? Add a different look altogether by brushing your hair all back and having no part at all! This works particularly well for curly hair! Want a dramatic look? Try spraying with hairspray or applying a gel and going for a sleek straight back look!
Simple ways to change your look with one simple step that allows you to mix it up every day of the week!!!
Share your photos with us! We would love to see your different looks!
We all want our hair to look beautiful; after all it is THE biggest accessory that we show off daily. To make it look as beautiful as possible, we dry it with heat, we straighten it, we curl it, we style it with bobby pins and cover it in hair sprays and gels- what does our hair do in return for all this special attention we so dutifully show it?
Sometimes it decides that it’s done! The days of looking as beautiful as we would like it too are over and its once shiny, bouncy appeal becomes dry and lack lustre. So what can we do to bring our locks back to life in between salon visits? We can treat it to a delicate indulgence with some good old home treatment remedies!
Coconut oil has been the talk of the town recently, gaining popularity as it becomes known for its super food status. Not only can this delicate oil create some amazing sweet and savoury treats, it is also a powerhouse of nutrients that are amazing for your hair. Often used daily in coastal areas where coconuts grow in abundance, Coconut oil is an excellent treatment that can actually help the re-growth process of damaged hair.
You can purchase coconut oil from a lot of places these days. Grocery stores, health food stores and even some fruit stores and pharmacies often hold stock.
Applying the treatment is super easy!
- Take a scoop of the oil and place it in your hands- it will melt from the heat of your skin as you apply it to your locks so there is no need to heat it first. Tip your head upside down and slowly rub it into your hair. You want to focus on areas that are the driest which are generally the ends, so as you move towards the mid lengths and the roots you do not need to use as much.
- Place a shower cap over the top or if you don’t have one you can even wrap it with cling wrap. If you like you can also run a hairdryer over the top to allow the oil to penetrate the hair shaft even further. Sit down and relax with a nice glass of wine or cup of tea for thirty minutes to allow the treatment to absorb.
- Wash your hair really well twice to ensure all the oil has been thoroughly removed and style as normal
It’s as simple as that! You locks will be shiny, bouncy and lustrous! Couple this treatment with a nourishing salon only treatment with your regular appointment and your hair will be showing its thanks by returning to its beautiful self!
Did you know, that many ingredients used in everyday products and skincare have some very dire side effects?
For example – many of the sunscreens we put on our skin are chemical absorbing – which means that the chemicals are absorbed into the bloodstream and have a myriad of possible side effects including hormone disruptors and even may contribute to breast and prostate cancer. Look for physical sunscreen such as zinc oxide.
It’s not about eliminating everything and becoming paranoid, it’s about education – we are bombarded by information these days but which information can we believe? Ask a professional, research – look at the source of the information – does it make sense? Is it backed by science? Do you know where the products are actually formulated? Is it certified cruelty free? What percentage of the stated ingredient are actually in the skincare product?
Get to know what to look out for when reading labels and what questions to ask.
Let me know what you would like to read in future blogs and let’s become educated to make informed choices!
Sharon Gould – Registered Nurse at Davissa Skin Clinic
Welcome to the Davissa blog, a joint adventure between Davissa Hair Studio and Davissa Skin clinic! Our aim is to keep you up to date with everything in skin, hair and beauty from how to demonstrations, tips and tricks, the latest in products and trends and everything in between. If there is anything you would like us to feature as a blog article we would love to hear from you! Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavour to answer your requests!
To kick off our first blogging adventure we thought it only appropriate to focus on the question that we get asked most in the hair studio- how can I keep my hair healthy and looking beautiful? There is no secret to the fact that there is a plethora of reasons why you may feel that your hair is not as healthy as it could be. Overstyling, heat damage, brushing when wet, not brushing enough and not getting regular trims can all play a part.
So how do you fix it? Is it special vitamins, exotic potions or miracle products that all the celebrites are using? Unfortunalty not! The answer is a lot simpler than you think and readily accessible for free!
A healthy diet and good hydration are the starting points to healthy, beautiful, lush hair! Did you know that each hair shaft is made up of ¼ water? When you don’t drink enough water this causes the cells that transport nutrients and vitamins to the hair root to not do what they are supposed to do. What is the result? Hair growth can stall or even stop altogether, breakage and shredding can occur and hair can appear dull and lifeless. If you have noticed any of these things happening to you, check your water consumption and you may find that this is the cause. A healthy diet with lots of water coupled with regular visits to the salon will have your locks feeling beautiful in no time!