What foods are truly beneficial for improving skin tone and texture as we age? Following are Terri Vinson’s, (Biochemical Scientist from Synergie) opinion of the great skin super foods.
Fresh vegetables (at least 8-10 cupful’s a day of a variety of colours). Minimise cooking time or eat raw
- Romaine lettuce
- Tomatoes (rich in antioxidant lycopene)
- Red cabbage
Foods high in Omega 3, 6 and 9 fats (in the correct proportion). These are the essential skin oils!
- Flaxseed oil
- Krill oil
- Coconut oil
- Rice bran oil (great for cooking)
- Extra virgin olive oil (not for cooking)
- Flax Seed oil (refrigerated)
Pulses (Lentils and beans) – a great way to get healthy plant protein in your diet to build collagen and elastin
- Split peas
- Chick peas
- Lima/Pinto/Black/Broad beans
Whole unprocessed grains- excellent source of B vitamins and anti-inflammatory nutrients
- Oat bran
- Brown rice
- Wholegrain pasta
Herbs and Spices- ensure that they are fresh (not dried) and grown in a pesticide free environment
- Green tea (or Green tea supplements)
Skin care also plays a vital role in your anti-ageing regimen. Ensure you choose a reputable brand with clinical data to support active ingredient claims. Also ensure the products are free of parabens, artificial fragrance, colour and other questionable ingredients.
Of course the great skin solution is a combination of the following elements
- Avoid environmental damage (UV, pollution)
- Eat well for great skin
- Use scientifically formulated skin care that is free of questionable ingredients
Follow these simple guidelines and you will live your life in great skin at any age!